Sunday, July 26, 2009

Planting Day - 16 Weeks in

I’ve been very bad about posting but the summer has been very busy -- in a non-medieval way. Real life, I’m afraid, has reared its ugly head and kept me away from reading and medieval projects. Hopefully that will change soon.

The big news is the wheat. Thanks to either a good deal of rain (it’s been a dry summer here) or some more time to grow (probably some of both, really) the field is doing much better.

Three weeks ago I reported that there were 31 ears of corn on the stalks of wheat. A week later, there were 74. A week after that there were 111. After being away at the Oregon Shakespearean Festival for most of the following week, I returned to find an explosion of wheat seeds. There are currently over 200 stalks with sheaves of wheat atop them (that’s where I lost count).




Last year’s very experimental winter wheat is now dry as a bone and the kernels are hard. I couldn’t crush the one I tried to in my teeth. I’ll give them a few more days to make sure, then I’ll try harvesting. More on that to come.

No comments: