Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Planting Day, 1 Week Later

It’s been a wet week -- lots of rain, a few grey days. But it was actually dry today so I went out to take a look. There was a lot of green and that was not good. Dandelions had pushed through. Grass had found some cracks in the newspaper. And there were no wheat shoots. Here’s a picture of the dandelions:



I got down and tried to weed them out. The dandelion stalks break with very little pulling. Instead of pulling out the plant by the roots, you just get a handful of crunchy greenery. I guess I’ll have to keep that up for a while, at least until the wheat grows taller than them.

The seeds on the other hand, have just started to sprout. It took a few days longer than I expected, but they are starting. I tried to take a picture of them but all of the close-ups came out really blurry. I’ll try again in a few days.

I don’t know what to do about the grass. I guess I’ll rip it up as it grows. My advice to anyone else doing this though -- use more layers of newspaper (more than 3) and make sure they overlap more than a few inches.

No comments: