Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Who is this guy anyway?

I guess the most important part is that I know nothing about agronomy or gardening. My parents had a large garden in their first house, but when they moved out of that house (when I was 5), they had other things to do. My father planted roses while I was a young adult, but never involved me in the practice (I was given the job of doing the landscaping). I’ve planted tulip bulbs with mixed results. I’ve planted hearty juniper bushes and had them die.

So I am definitely confident that I can screw this project up at any point.

One of the things that gives me much trepidation is the ground. I don’t know anything about soil.

I do know that the area used to be a swamp and that there is a lot of gravel about 8-12 inches below the surface. Many websites I’ve looked at say that grain is just grass, and if grass will grow in an area so will wheat. That makes a certain amount of sense, but at the same time there has to more to it than that. I mean, if it was that easy to grow, there’d be no discussion of crop rotation. I never have to rotate my lawn . . . though I guess some people spend a lot of money on lawn fertilizer and weed killer . . .

No comments: