Thursday, April 9, 2009

Standing on the threshold

I am about to plant some wheat. What do I do to prepare the soil? How do I get rid of the grass in my lawn? What about fertilizer or peat moss or manure? I have no idea.

So I did what anyone would do in this day and age. I went online. I googled.

I came up with a plan. To build a raised bed. To make a wooden frame, kill the grass under it with wet newspaper (which will starve the grass for sunlight and biodegrade), fill it with good topsoil and plant in that. It can’t go wrong. The wood is cheap. The hard part is getting a cubic yard of topsoil.

I never got around to finding out how much that would cost. Because I found this website. On page 8 it suggests a procedure to prepare a grassy plot to turn it into a garden. It says to lay down the newspaper, thrown on some compost and seed that with wheat. Once the wheat has grown, till it back into the earth and instant (well maybe not instant) garden.

Well, I’m not looking for a garden, I want to grow wheat. So this method seems perfect. That’s what I’ll do.

No comments: